Learn About Virtual Care
Be better prepared for your next virtual appointment.
Topics on this page
Technology has enabled care to move beyond the four walls of a clinician’s office.
Virtual care can be a safe and convenient way to access care. Use our resources to learn more about virtual care, including some tips to prepare for your next visit.
Virtual Care Resources
What is Virtual Care?
Virtual Care is any interaction between a patient and health care practitioner that doesn't involve direct contact. Virtual care includes video visits, telephone consultations and secure messaging (text messaging or emailing with a practitioner).
Virtual Care Basics
The most common forms of virtual care in Canada include phone, followed by video and secure messaging.1
Canadians reported a 91 per cent satisfaction rate when connecting with a doctor virtually, and 46 per cent said that they would prefer a virtual method as their first option for contacting their doctor going forward.2
You can see a variety of practitioners virtually, including:
- General Health (e.g., Family Doctors, General Practitioners, Nurse Practitioners)
- Specialist Physicians (e.g., Dermatologists, Cardiologists, Allergists, Pediatricians, Obstetrician-Gynecologists)
- Other Health Professionals: Physiotherapists, Occupational Therapists, Dieticians, Chiropractors, Podiatrists, Osteopaths, Naturopaths, Optometrists, Pharmacists and Sleep Therapists.
- Specialist Physicians (Psychiatrists)
- Life Coaches
Connect with your practitioner’s office to confirm if they offer virtual services.
- Canada Health Infoway: Canadians’ Health Care Experiences During COVID-19 | Uptake of Virtual Care
- Canadian Medical Association: Virtual care is real care National poll shows Canadians are overwhelmingly satisfied with virtual health care
Virtual Appointment Checklist
Virtual appointments are a little different from in-person appointments. Learning about and preparing for these differences can help you make the most of your appointment: before, during and after. We hope this checklist can help.
Preparing for the Appointment
What to Bring
During the Appointment
After the Appointment
- Canadian Medical Association (CMA): Virtual Care Guide for Patients
- Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre: The ultimate checklist for virtual care appointments
Want the content of this page to go? Download the infographic, or for more information, read our article on "How to Prepare for a Virtual Appointment."