Many of the members of the Standards Collaborative participate in international initiatives to influence, leverage and ensure alignment with international standards.
International standards are then adopted or suitably adapted to form the pan-Canadian health information standards. This approach promotes interoperability, reduces costs and stimulates market demand for standards-based vendor solutions.
The Standards Collaborative is the formal liaison for Canada to the following Standards Organizations. Their key offerings on which the pan-Canadian standards are based are included below for reference.
- HL7 International – HL7
- Integrating the Healthcare Enterprise – IHE Profiles
- International Health Terminology Standards Development Organization (IHTSDO) – SNOMED CT®
- International Organization for Standardization’s Health Informatics Technical Committee (ISO/TC215), in conjunction with the Standards Council of Canada – ISO Standards
- Medical Imaging & Technology Alliance (MITA), a Division of the Association of Electrical and Medical Imaging Equipment Manufacturers (NEMA) – DICOM
- Regenstrief Institute Inc. – LOINC
IHTSDO®, SNOMED CT®, HL7®, ISO®, DICOM® and LOINC® are trademarks or registered trademarks of the respective organizations and should be considered as such. All rights are reserved by the governing organization.