The Consumer Health Solutions investment program was established to educate and empower Canadians by providing electronic access to their health information and health care services.
Investment in consumer health projects will be allocated to one of the following areas:
Jurisdiction Consumer Portals
Infoway is investing in one or more jurisdictional patient portal initiative(s) that are integrated with other partnering organizations and solutions as is appropriate. The portals provide Canadians access to information from their health records, as well as other value added services such as appointment booking or requesting refills of medications online.
Infoway invests in Demonstration projects that focus on specific areas that Canadians have identified as priority information needs or services. Demonstration projects are smaller initiatives that trial the use of novel solutions, illustrate their value, and encourage the growth and spread of effective solutions.
Infoway is currently accepting proposal submissions for a new wave of Demonstration project investments. Focus areas include:
- Patient/consumer-initiated electronic communications with their health care provider(s);
- Patient/consumer viewing of their personal health information such as laboratory test results; and
- Patient/consumer initiated electronic requests for prescription renewals or refills.
Remote Patient Monitoring
RPM focuses on the delivery of health care to patients outside of conventional care settings (e.g., a patient's home), made possible by connecting the patient and a health care provider through technology. They work together as a care team to maintain and improve the patient's health, often in a coaching model. RPM also typically involves the electronic transmission of patient data (e.g., symptoms, vital signs, outcomes) from a remote home location to the provider, as well as the supporting services and processes required to conduct data review, interpretation and potential alteration of the patient's course of care.
- Start-up: An investment stream designed to support the conceptual planning and readiness assessments for jurisdictional/large regional or disease-specific RPM initiatives. More information is available in the RPM Start Up Information Guide.
- Deploy: An investment stream designed to support RPM investments focused on enhancing and expanding program offerings to build the adoption and use within patient populations where there is evidence of benefit (e.g., CHF, COPD, Mental Health, Post-discharge, etc.). More information is available in the RPM Deploy Information Guide.
Foundational investments are designed to help accelerate the efforts of jurisdictions and others who are interested in developing consumer health information strategies. For example, Infoway may undertake and share the results of research to understand Canadians' priorities or explore options for addressing the critical challenge of identity management to ensure that solutions respect privacy legislation and expectations.
How will Canadians benefit?
- Provide Canadians access to information from their health records, as well as other value added services such as appointment booking or refilling medications online.
- Focus on specific areas that Canadians have identified as priority information needs or services.
- Better understand Canadians' priorities or explore options for addressing the critical challenge of identity management to ensure that solutions respect privacy legislation and expectations.
- Facilitate the spread and expansion of new care delivery models enabled through the incorporation of consumer-focused, digital health technologies.
Experiences and perspectives
Browse through stories and videos shared by clinicians, patient, and health care administrators on the journey to better health care through improved connection and access to health information.