Posted on May 7, 2019 by Dr. Caroline Correia
As physicians, we constantly look for ways to improve our practice, including staying up-to-date on the latest research, guidelines and best practices to ensure we offer our patients the best care available. Part of this also includes making sure our practices are run efficiently and effectively so that our energy is focused on patient care and not on time-consuming administrative work, wherever possible.
One simple step is retiring the fax machine and implementing an e-prescription service. Since introducing it in my clinic more than two years ago, PrescribeIT™ has transformed my practice in many ways:
- Seamless integration: Implementing the prescribing system into my electronic medical record (EMR) system was easy and straightforward. There was little learning required to process and upload my first prescription as the process is nearly identical until the final selection — choosing to e-prescribe rather than fax.
- Communication with pharmacists: Pharmacists know that PrescribeIT™ provides secure, two-way digital communication between prescriber and pharmacist, making prescriptions more secure and renewals more accurate and less cumbersome.
- Script monitoring: PrescribeIT™ documents when a prescription has been dispensed by the pharmacist. In several cases, this has allowed me to more accurately surveil controlled substance prescriptions, like opioids, and respond with more confidence when misuse occurs. PrescribeIT™ is a significant aid in ensuring opioid prescriptions are being accessed appropriately, and to help address the opioid crisis.
- Dispense notification: I can track whether patients are adhering to their medication regimes. For example, one elderly patient was not filling his prescribed medication as often as he should. During our visit, he expressed a belief that he was taking them regularly but admitted he did worry about his memory. This piece of information initiated a recognition of his early dementia which allowed us to connect him with a multidisciplinary geriatric team to best support his independence and wellbeing.
- Administrative efficiency: PrescribeIT™ saves time and reduces paperwork. Our staff have noticed a dramatic reduction in the amount of administrative handling of pharmacy requests as PrescribeIT™ automatically sends renewal requests directly to the prescriber, without the need for manual sorting by our staff.
The value of e-prescribing in my practice has been truly immeasurable. Learn more about the benefits of PrescribeIT™ today!
Have a comment about this post? We’d love to hear from you.
Dr. Caroline Correia is a Family Physician based in North Muskoka where she lives with her husband and their three children. She trained in Kinesiology and Education, at McMaster and Queen’s respectively prior to returning to McMaster University to pursue the study of Medicine. Now, with the Algonquin Family Health Team, she provides comprehensive primary care, chairs the FHT’s IT committee, and became one of the first physicians in Canada to partner with PrescribeIT. Beyond the Family Health Team, she provides inpatient, obstetrical, and palliative care at Muskoka Algonquin Healthcare.