Canada Health Infoway is working with Health Canada, the provinces and territories, and industry stakeholders to operate and maintain PrescribeIT®, a national e-prescribing service. PrescribeIT® enables prescribers to electronically transmit a prescription directly from an electronic medical record to the pharmacy management system of a patient’s pharmacy of choice.
Visit the PrescribeIT® website to learn more.
The service provides safer and more effective medication management by connecting community-based prescribers (such as physicians and nurse practitioners) through their existing electronic medical records (EMR) to the pharmacy management systems of community retail pharmacies, enabling the electronic transmission of prescriptions. PrescribeIT® reduces the use of paper prescriptions, enhances patient safety, reduces fraud, improves continuity of care, optimizes jurisdictional drug information system investments, and facilitates better health outcomes for Canadians.
PrescribeIT® enables prescribers and pharmacists to electronically create, receive, renew and cancel prescriptions. The service also provides:
- Secure clinician messaging
- Prescription status notifications
- Integration with public drug formularies*
- Standardized terminology through the Canadian Clinical Drug Data Set
- Enhanced user identity proofing with multi-factor authentication
- Reduced potential for fraud and abuse, especially for narcotics and other controlled substances
Please download the PrescribeIT® Backgrounder for more information.
*in jurisdictions where it is available.