Canada Health Infoway is working with Health Canada, the provinces and territories, and industry stakeholders to create, operate and maintain a financially self-sustaining, multi-jurisdiction e-prescribing service, known as PrescribeITTM. This will be a single service that can be scaled for use across the country enabling prescribers to electronically transmit a prescription to a patient’s pharmacy of choice.
"Visit the PrescribeITTM website to learn more.”
The service will provide safer and more effective medication management by connecting community-based prescribers (such as physicians and nurse practitioners) either through their existing electronic medical records (EMR) or standalone applications, to community retail pharmacies to enable the electronic transmission of prescriptions. PrescribeITTM will reduce the use of paper prescriptions, enhance patient safety, reduce fraud, improve continuity of care, optimize jurisdictional drug information system investments, and facilitate better health outcomes for Canadians.
- Secure electronic transmission of prescriptions for all medications, including narcotics:
- Deliver a prescription to a patient’s pharmacy of choice
- Send prescription renewal requests from a pharmacist to a prescriber
- Enable prescribers and pharmacists to cancel a transaction
- Provide prescriber access to integrated public drug formularies to help confirm relative costs and coverage
- Enable secure messaging between prescribers and pharmacists, eliminating fax and phone activity
- Integrate with provincial and territorial drug information systems to contribute to secure patient medication histories.