"Providing our health care professionals with improved access to more comprehensive clinical information supports patient care. This focus has led to our province being positioned to be among the first three provinces to establish an electronic health record that captures health information from multiple sources. Approximately $18 million has been allocated in 2013-14 towards the ongoing development of the province's electronic health record. We will continue to work with our partners to implement electronic health systems that enhance patient safety and improve quality of care for all Newfoundlanders and Labradorians."
- The Honourable Susan Sullivan, Minister of Health and Community Services.
The HEALTHe NL Viewer is the next milestone in provincial electronic health record development. Today, the Viewer provides health care professionals with access to medication profiles available through the Pharmacy Network. Over time, the Viewer will include other relevant clinical information including lab results, diagnostic images and select clinical records. Like other components of HEALTHe NL, the Viewer provides health care professionals with more comprehensive patient information when and where it is needed.
"The HEALTHe NL Viewer makes the medication profiles available in the Pharmacy Network from community pharmacies accessible to clinicians across the health care system, including at hospitals, long-term care facilities, community clinics and family practices. This enhanced access to quality health information, supports timely and more informed health care decision-making and delivery."
- Mike Barron, President and CEO of the Newfoundland and Labrador Centre for Health Information
Developing HEALTHe NL is a collaborative initiative between the Government of Newfoundland and Labrador, the Newfoundland and Labrador Centre for Health Information and Canada Health Infoway, along with many supporting stakeholders.
"This continued progress in Newfoundland and Labrador's electronic health record reflects our vision of healthier Canadians through innovative digital health solutions. Infoway's investments in digital health solutions in Newfoundland and Labrador will help deliver better quality and access to care for patients across the province."
- Richard Alvarez, President and CEO of Canada Health Infoway
The Government of Newfoundland and Labrador is committed to supporting important social programs, strong communities and the health and well-being of children, families and seniors.
- A new component of the electronic health record, the HEALTHe NL Viewer, has been launched to provide authorized health care professionals with a single point of access to view patient information available in the electronic health record.
- Approximately $18 million has been allocated in 2013-14 towards the ongoing implementation of the province's electronic health record.
- Newfoundland and Labrador is positioned to be among the first three provinces to establish an electronic health record that captures health information from multiple sources.
- There are five components of the electronic health record that have been implemented. These components include the Picture Archiving and Communications Systems (PACS) that provides the ability to remotely review diagnostic images, a Client Registry to help link patient data, a Provider Registry, the Pharmacy Network providing more comprehensive access to patient medication information, and, now, the HEALTHe NL Viewer.
- 30 -
For more information:
Director of Communications
Department of Health and Community Services
Director of Communications
Newfoundland and Labrador Centre for Health Information