Ninety per cent of Canadians say they want the ability to e-book medical appointments. Through its investments, Canada Health Infoway has supported a variety of efforts to increase the use of e-booking in Canada. e-Booking benefits both providers and patients:
Benefits for Providers
- Time savings. Staff spend less time on the phone booking appointments and experience fewer interruptions.
- Fewer no-shows. The use of electronic alerts and appointment reminders can decrease the number of no-shows and last-minute cancellations, which otherwise could negatively affect both revenue and productivity.
- Improved staff satisfaction. Staff spend less time answering and returning phone calls that deal with scheduling activities and are able to spend more time on higher-valued activities, such as working with patients.
Benefits for Patients
- Convenience. No more busy signals and an ability to book appointments 24/7.
- Ease-of-use. Patients find online booking easy and say they would use it again.
- Helpful e-reminders. Patients can receive electronic alerts and reminders, which means fewer missed appointments.
Privacy and Security
With so many e-booking products available, it is important for clinicians and practices considering the implementation of an e-booking solution to understand the product they are choosing and the implementation options. As the custodian/trustee of patient information, clinicians and practices are also responsible for ensuring that the information is protected and managed in compliance with applicable privacy laws as well as professional standards.